Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Being American

Every other Dutch person I meet loves to talk politics and hate on Americans.  It usually starts off friendly enough, but I must seem open/nice enough to take on harsher criticism without doling out physical consequences.  Some examples, “How can you be proud to be American,” and “Aren’t you ashamed to be an American?”  Man, what did I do wrong?  Don’t get suckered into having this conversation with your fists.

Sunrise from our apartment.

I’ve mentioned this on a prior Indian blog, but it’s worthy of discussing again.  We need a department in our government that monitors the American media that’s sent overseas.  Perhaps someone in the FCC.  A woman told me specifically that many Dutch people got their poor impression of Americans by watching TV shows like Jerry Springer.  Jerry Springer and his trashy guests have become our ambassadors to other countries.  Paris Hilton is still in the news here for whatever dumb thing she’s doing.  The news also does come off bad with our involvement in other countries.  It’s easy to see how we appear to be Team America: World Police. 

“What do you think of the actions of your military?”  “Why is your health care system so bad?” 

For the record I am proud to be an American and I valiantly defend everything we do.  But don’t judge me as a person with contempt!  These conversations are all civil and interesting, but I don’t like losing an argument.  My trump card is this line, “I would hope that anyone I meet would be able to judge me as an individual and not as a representative and supporter of everything the United States does.” 

“Well, we’re not talking about you.  You seem like a great guy.”

Peeing on one of these in the middle of the street?  That's freedom!  

I’m just the tip of the iceberg.  Americans, keep being cool when you go overseas.  Hopefully we can change our reputation one person at a time.  It’s unfortunate the media that depicts us in a good light doesn’t make it overseas. 

They love Obama here.  It seems he’s been helping our image internationally as well.

Late addition to this post.  This link doesn't help the American image: The World According to Americans

No comments:

Post a Comment